Ephesians 2:19-22 (NKJV): Now, therefore, you are no longer strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God, having been built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ Himself being the chief cornerstone, in whom the whole building, being fitted together, grows into a holy temple in the Lord, in whom you also are being built together for a dwelling place of God in the Spirit.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Song Story: I Offer My Life

From Don
05.03.09

It was 10:30 P.M., and I was still in my office working on the final song list for John Chisum’s new project called “Firm Foundation.” I knew there was something missing on the list and I felt somewhere on this project we needed to say, "Lord I Offer My Life To You … Everything I’ve Been Through," because this particular project was dealing with inner healing believing that God can restore everything that has been broken in your life. It was important to say something like, “God, I believe you can use all that I have been through for your glory, somehow.”

I decided to call Claire Cloninger who I love to write with. She is one of the most incredible lyricists I have ever known. I called her at 10:30 P.M., and after apologizing for calling so late, told her what I was looking for and played a bit of the chorus of the song over the phone. “Lord, I Offer My Life To You … Everything I’ve Been Through," and told her what I think the song needed to say. In 15 minutes she faxed over some lyrics and we spent 10 more minutes on the phone tweaking this and that and by 11:00 PM the song was finished! I still sing this song at almost every concert.

One little bit of trivia here. There is also a pretty nice bridge to this song that we recorded on Firm Foundation but I have never used it when I sing the song live. I think the reason is because it’s a little tricky and a congregation could get lost singing it. I like to get right to the heart of a song and stay there.

- Don

No comments:

.